Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Day in the Life

As part of the link up party with Holly, here is what an average day for me looks like:

My alarm goes off at 5:00 AM and I will usually hit snooze about two times. Jason nearly always gets up before I do because once he's up, I know I can't languish in bed any longer. I shower and get ready and then one of us gets to wake up Miss Em, who is not a morning person. She takes after her momma in that respect. Usually, if you wake her up and give her some time, she is fine and cooperative. If she has to get up before she decides she's ready, then we have a screaming toddler on our hands. Like inconsolable, can't even focus on why I'm crying tantrum. Not fun.

Once she's dressed and her hair is done (seriously, this child's hair is out of control), we bundle up in the car and drop her off at daycare, then proceed with the 45 minute commute to the office. Jason and I actually work at the same place so it is a lot more convenient that way, especially since we only have one vehicle. Traffic in Kansas City is never a pleasant experience, although some days are better than others. Currently, we are trying out different routes as our usual one is backed up due to road construction on a bridge. Thanks MO-Dot.
DVD player makes car rides so much more pleasant

We usually get to the office around 7:30-8:00 AM and I have my morning ritual. I get a big glass of water with lots of ice, put my lunch in the fridge and then I have to read all my blogs. Our ice machine has crushed ice which makes me very happy as I am slightly obsessed with eating it. I work at a desk job in my own little cubicle so I don't have people hanging over me all day. Jason and I will usually eat lunch together (we work in different departments) and then back to my desk for the remainder of the day. I do usually try to get outside once a day, especially if the weather is nice. Our office is in a great location with lots of walking trails (i.e. sidewalks) so I like to get a good 20 minute walk in. My favorite place is a group of waterfalls that you can go sit in front of. They are really calming and make me feel peaceful.

Quitting time is around 4:30-5:00 PM, depending upon whether we had to work overtime or not and then it is back to traffic. After we pick up Emmeline, we'll stop at the grocery store about once or twice a week to get any items that we are low on. I know that one-time huge grocery shopping trips are the way to go, but I am the queen of mini trips to the store.

Get home and start fixing dinner while trying to keep Miss Em entertained. Once she's eaten, I throw her in the bathtub and then get her in bed. She usually bathes every other night unless she has been rolling around in her favorite dirt pile at daycare and is especially dirty. The amount of dirt left in the tub after a hard day of play is really amazing. I should get a picture of it. After she's in bed, I'll try and get a run in or do a workout video if I'm in the mood. Some nights, I'll just veg out on the couch and watch TV and then go to be around 10:00 PM.

Sweaty and red-faced after a workout

Weekends are a little bit different. If I have the older girls, then we'll try and go somewhere fun and cheap to get out of the house. We spent a lot of time at the pool this summer. Otherwise, weekends are for relaxing, cleaning and doing laundry. That's it for me, I have a pretty low-key life.



  1. Five girls? You're a saint. And your comment about the crushed ice made me smile-- because I love eating it too!

    Also, good job at still squeezing in a workout at the end of the day. You're not too far from me, either. We're trying to plan a St. Louis area blogging night.

    Thanks for linking up!

    1. Oh, I am so not a saint, but thank you. If you have a blogging night some weekend, please let me know because I may just make the trip. It isn't that long of a drive and I would love to meet new people!

  2. Thanks so much for linking up with us. I enjoyed reading about your day. :-)