Sunday, November 4, 2012

Race Recap and Weekend Happenings


Saturday morning I ran my very first 5K with my beautiful sister, Rachel and it was TOUGH. I managed to pick one with an extremely difficult terrain for my first race. Go me. Remember when I did my test run and I thought that the huge hill would not be part of the race? Yeah that was wrong. It was the start of the second mile. The first mile started out pretty good. It was relatively level, but I psyched myself out a little bit and let myself walk part of it. Rachel got ahead of me when I started doing that. Then hit the second mile and it was basically straight uphill and it was killer. I really struggled with that and was sucking wind by the time I got to the top. It then looped around a road so I was able to get my breathing back in check and then the third mile was all downhill. I tried to run the majority of the third mile, but it was very rocky and perilous in some places, so I had to take it easy. I was so happy to see the 3 mile marker though and pulled it out to the finish line.

I did not make it under my goal of 45 minutes, I think my official time was 56 minutes. I made it in under an hour and I wasn't the last one so that made me happy. Best of all, I finished the whole thing and didn't quit. Rachel was already talking about getting signed up for our next race. I think we are going to try the Warrior Dash next spring. That looks like a lot of fun. Jason said that he even wanted to get in on the fun as he has just started running again. Lo and behold, he found a Turkey Trot 5K in Joplin on Thanksgiving morning and got us signed up. Fortunately, this one is on a level road so I should actually be able to run the whole thing. I have also signed up for Pile on the Miles 2012 so it is a great excuse to get my runs in instead of slacking off.


 We got back from the race and I had just enough time to take a quick shower before heading down to the plaza with Jason's mom, Cheryl. She had driven up from Joplin to watch the race, but she had also purchased tickets to go to a book signing by The Pioneer Woman. She has just released a new children's book and is doing a book tour for it. We got there just as her town car was arriving so we actually got to see her in person as she got out of the car. (Squee!) The event was being hosted by Rainy Day Books and was really organized very well. The president came up and gave a little introduction and "what to expect" and then Ree came out and did a little presentation with a slide show about her background and how she started blogging which led to photography which led to her books and cooking show. She was very personable and funny.

Once that was over, they started calling up people up to get their books signed. You got a copy of her new book with the ticket admission, but they were also selling her other books there as well. We had quite a wait since they were going by ticket numbers and we were in the 150's, but there were over 300 people that had showed up. We finally got in line and there was a prep person taking down dedication names on a sticky note (who you wanted the signature made out to). I had her write down all 5 girls' names. When I finally got up there, both Ree and the facilitator told me that I looked way too young to have five daughters. She then told me that she loved the girls' names and that I had the naming thing down. TeeHee!


All in all, it was really a great experience and I have to send a huge thank you to Cheryl for buying the tickets and going with me. I had a great time.

Have you ever had the chance to meet anyone famous? What were the circumstances?

5 comments:

  1. Wow that's awesome you ran your first 5k! I still can't run a minute without feeling like I am going to pass out! Congratulations!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your race!!! The more you do the easier they get! Lucky you getting to meet PW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on the race! That's so awesome!! The hubs & I are wanting to do the Color Run in Atlanta next year...I'm not a runner so it should be interesting! lol...

    Congrats, again, on your first 5K!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assist To Sell Autos, JOPLIN Missouri auto dealer offers used and new cars. Great prices, quality service, financing and shipping options may be available.
    http://www.assisttosellautos.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so fun (both the book signing & race)! Goals are goals; it's okay to get there and just do your best & have fun in the process. Plus it sets you up to smash them next time!! Especially as you said the race was a bit different than a traditional road race:-)

    ReplyDelete