Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What's in a Name Link-Up

button


I happen to love baby names, like strangely obsessive love them. I may also visit the site nameberry.com a little more often than I should. Since I seem to be surrounded by a lot of pregnant women lately, I thought that it would be fun to have a link-up to discuss names. Of course, you don't have to have a baby to discuss your favorite names. Many people have their special furbabies and I would love to hear those name stories too.

I have been very blessed to have had the opportunity to name five beautiful girls. I got to think about boys names for a hot minute until the results of the ultrasound came through. Oh well, at this point I can't even imagine having a boy. I love all my girls. I'm getting off the subject.

Hannah Rose - Had I known how popular Hannah was going to become, I would have thought twice about using it. However, I love the name as it is classic and lends itself well to a very German last name. Rose is my middle name and was also my mother's and grandmother's. I tried to use family names with all the girls' middle names.

Cordelia Grace - If you have not seen the movie, The Happiest Millionaire, I encourage you to do so. It was always a favorite of mine and Lesley Ann Warren's character's name was Cordelia. This name was a risk, but it worked as my ex had two great-grandmothers named Odelia and Grace. We call her Cordie and I can't imagine her named anything else. However, when I delivered her and told the Dr. what her name was, he asked if it was from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Um, no. Thanks for playing.

Paige Nanette - Since I got to pick Cordie's name, my ex got to choose Paige's name. I really wanted to go with Moira, but he got the final say. It works for her though. It is a cute and spunky name just like she is. Nanette is my sister's middle name as well, but it is also a tribute to my former mother in law, Nancy.

Elsa Ruth - I was convinced that Elsa was going to be a boy and had the name Henry all picked out, but instead I got another little blond baby girl. I wanted to go with a more Scandinavian name again to go with our German last name. I was really drawn to Elsa, but was also closely looking at Lily. Since Lily seemed to be gaining popularity rapidly, we chose Elsa and I love it. The blond beauty in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade didn't hurt either. Ruth is a family name on both sides.

Emmeline Marlena - Jason had the name Emaline picked out from very early on. It is the name of a song from one of his favorite bands, Ben Folds 5. We also seriously considered the name Violet, a name I still love. Marlena was tough. I wanted a name to honor my mom, Marlene, who had passed away and Hannah already had her middle name. I didn't like the way the two names both had the hard N at the end so we changed it to Marlena. We also compromised on the spelling of Emmeline since we really didn't want it to be shortened to Emma (and I liked it better with 2 E's). The older girls call her Emme sometimes, or the Divine Miss Em.

So there you have it. I could definitely turn this post into a 10 page short story, but I'll spare you. Thanks for linking up and I can't wait to read everyone else's stories.


21 comments:

  1. You probably have THE prettiest girls names of anyone I know. I love them.. And Elsa? I die. :)

    Great linkup!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea.. Your girls all have beautiful names!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I totally forgot about this. And now I have a kid at home vomiting and shitting everywhere so theres that. I shall link up tomorrow. I have always adored your girls names! And the stories behind them were great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun link-up. I love baby names too. I've thought about what my children's names would be since I was a little girl. Your girls have beautiful names. I especially love Elsa! I also love the name Lily (unfortunately my husband does not). In fact if it were up to me, we would name our daughter (if we ever have one) Lily Rose, after two of my Great Grandmothers. But I can't seem to talk him into it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this link up! I wish I'd seen this earlier this morning. I'll be posting tomorrow though!
    Newest follower here. Would love you to swing by
    http://d-and-s-macke.blogspot.com
    for a return follow.
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did pick absolutely gorgeous girl names! Also, fist bump to Jason for Ben Folds Five! Ben Folds was my first concert! And I was so stoked when they finally got back together last year (whaaaat?)!

    GREAT link-up and I really enjoyed reading about your decision-making process. I absolutely love it when people work in family names. Ruth is a huge family name on Pete's side, but I think we're going to skip that one as I was bullied by a Ruth when I was really young. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each of the girls have a great story behind their names! And they are the prettiest names, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading about how your girls names came to be! I'm a big fan of carrying on family names, too. :) I linked up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading the stories behind your girls' names; all are so unique and beautiful!

    I only have one child, a little girl named Stella Janine. Stella was my husband's grandmother's name and Janine is my mom's middle name. I LOVE old fashioned "granny" names and both names fit that criteria and honor family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have the prettiest girl names. I love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how you came up with five girl names! Cordie is probably the coolest nickname ever! Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a fun/different link-up! Your girls have beautiful names! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your girls names & this link-up! Thanks for hosting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all their names! They seem to fit their personalities well. Thanks for doing this! Wish I had some kiddos of my own so I could have played along:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this link-up! I am a new follower and a new blogger so you ar emy first link-up. Thanks for setting this up. Also, love all your kiddos names. Emmeline...so so pretty! Girls names are so fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG...The link up turned out wonderful...Yay for you Amanda.. Thank you for letting all of us participate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are gorgeous names and how fun that you got to name 5 girls!! :) I forgot to link up yesterday but will be linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry I'm so late linking up! This is a great idea! Thanks for it! I hope you do more!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for your comment :) I have my husband to thank for the name Alaric. I have 2 girls and 1 boy name picked out (though I like a couple others for boys too) even though we will probably never have another kid. Now to just figure out what to name so I can use them!

    ReplyDelete