Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Cleanse and some other stuff

Since I am a huge bandwagon jumper and just have to do what all the cool kids are doing, I just completed the Advocare 10 day cleanse along with half of the blogging world. I was rather disappointed with my results, so let me get to the down and dirty.

I had the meals planned out and I had the groceries bought, but I did not anticipate the prep time that would accompany some of the meals I had chosen. I was in the kitchen for several hours the first few nights and I was so burned out with cooking. The meals I made were really good, though and will most likely be incorporating some into our regular rotation (I'll make Jason do all the veggie chopping, though). I also successfully made mashed cauliflower for the first time. Turns out you don't want to put it in the blender and puree.

The start of the cleanse also coincided with me getting one of the worst colds I've had in a really long time. Major congestion, sinus headache and overall fatigue just contributed to me feeling like utter crap the first few days. I couldn't tell if the nasty headache I had was from the lack of caffeine or my sinuses being blocked up, but I was miserable.

The supplements really did not have a huge effect on my body, if anything, I felt more bloated the first few days. Unlike so many others, though, the fiber drink did not bother me. It was like pulpy orange juice and I was adding my Emergen-C to it so it had an extra orange flavor. I did not have to chug it down, I just drank it normally. I honestly don't ever chug anything. I can't even do shots properly, I have to drink them. My biggest problem was with the giant horse pills otherwise known as the Herbal Cleanse. I do not do well with swallowing pills, never have, and so trying to get three down was killer. Jason, of course, swallowed them all in one gulp. I did end up buying Spark in an effort to bypass the caffeine withdrawal, but I didn't get it until the headaches had already stopped. I do really like it, however, and I plan on using it for my workouts. I got Grape flavor, which is really good. I know a lot of people like Fruit Punch, but I do not and I have red dye issues.

Jason, or more specifically, Jason's colon was a lot more affected by the cleanse than mine was. He was going to the bathroom multiple times a day. He also suffered from major caffeine withdrawal at first. Boy was seriously addicted to soda and sweet tea. Anyway, his bathroom adventures became so bad that he started bleeding. At that point, he quit the cleanse. I don't blame him and I feel that it was probably for the best. I wish that I had been able to get as "cleaned out".

Overall, I ended up losing 2 pounds. I actually had lost 3 by Sunday, but then gained a pound back. Over this past weekend, when Jason ended up quitting, he stopped on the way home and picked up a pizza. I wasn't going to have any since I had leftover meatloaf. However, I was feeling dejected about my progress and lazy about heating up my leftovers so I had one slice of pizza. Worst mistake ever. I don't know if it was the cheese or the crust, but I ended up getting really sick to my stomach and decided that it wasn't worth it. I started to question why I was really doing the cleanse in the first place. Honestly, my eating had not been that bad. I really don't eat carbs that much and I've all but given up dairy. The truth was that I had seen the result that Mel had and I wanted an easy way to lose weight. That was it in a nutshell.

Of course, there is no easy way to lose weight as this awesome lady pointed out. You have to work for it and that's what I wasn't doing. I hadn't worked out in over two weeks, I was being lazy and looking for "the magic pill". After I had my little epiphany, though. I got up off my ass and went for a run on the treadmill. I then started back up with Jillian's Ripped In 30. My plan is to get through all 30 for once. I have been gaining and losing the same three pounds for two months and I'm over it. I want to break out of the 140's for good and get into the 130's. I want to be finally happy with the way that I look. Even though I now wear a size 6/8 and have received tons of compliments about my progress, I still haven't hit that "happy place".

So, I am back on the workout wagon. I am going to keep doing Jillian (heh) for the next 3 1/2 weeks and I am going to keep running. I have the Warrior Dash at the end of April that I need to be ready for. Turns out that someone else volunteered to run the half marathon that I was going to have to do and I'm okay with that. Plus, we cannot forget Operation Red Bikini. I plan to have my ass in a bikini at the pool this summer and I'm going to rock it. My stomach has not seen the sun in years, though, so I'll be sure to have extra sunscreen on hand.

There you have it. I was going to ramble about some other stuff, like how Missouri is the meth capital of the US, but this post has gotten really long so I'll save it.

7 comments:

  1. And once again you kill me. Yeah I liked the cleanse for a jump start thing - but to stick with that eating forever is for the BIRDS!!! It did help me to make better choices though. Meth... aren't we proud. AND WTG on 3 lbs girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got one of the worst colds I've ever had on it too! Ugh NO Fun! i couldn't even work out because snot was running down my face constantly! Way to go on the 3lbs girlie! And Im about to start up with jillian when I get back from vaca ugh! but shes good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear both sides to the cleanse story. Thanks for sharing your honest account and experience. If nothing else the epiphany was probably worth it. Say hi to Jillian for me;-) I'm thinking of buying her 90 day program to get back in shape post baby, but don't know anyone that's done it yet, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think the Cleanse bandwagon has people believing it is a huge weight loss thing. It really is as Melanie above said - about learning to make better choices and getting on track. I love an honest post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pretty much agree and I'm only on day 4. I feel like I didn't need this cleanse as much as I probably just needed to pick up the healthy eating habits better. An oh my- I don't blame Jason for quitting either!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep going back and forth on if I want to do it or not.....

    Woo hoo for meth capital! I have never been more proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is the 30 day shred? I've heard of you and a celebrity I like doing it. I've thought about it, but haven't done my research on it to see what it consisted of and everything. Do you like it?

    ReplyDelete