Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Business Casual

It is freezing cold today with rain and sleet and wind and I am cursing my company for choosing a building with a parking garage that is several hundred yards away. Sure it is great in the Summer and Spring (ahem) when the temps are nice, but pretty much sucks balls when it is cold.

About halfway between the garage and the front door.
I know, poor me.
Dressing for work when the weather is crappy is always a challenge too. Do I really want to wear flats as I trudge through puddles? I need to get some cute rain boots that I can wear and not have to worry about getting my feet wet.
My office dress code is business casual and it appears that there is a lot of open interpretation of that among my colleagues. To me, it means dress pants, skirts, or dresses, nice tops, sweaters or button down shirts, nice heels or flats. 
Source
I wish all of these outfits were in my closet
 Now, here is where it gets fuzzy for some of the people I work with.

Denim dress pants - I'm on the fence about this one. To me, jeans cut like dress pants don't necessarily make them acceptable.

Colored jeans - This goes along with the denim dress pants. They can look really nice or way too casual. I guess it is more about the styling. However, too many women in my office know nothing about styling.

Fleece pullover jackets - If your office is so cold that you feel the need to wear your fleece jacket every day, you need to start dressing more warmly. It just looks tacky and it looks like you don't ever change your clothes.

Athletic shoes - Never okay. Even on casual/jeans Friday, you are not allowed to wear athletic shoes. (A certain manager I know wears them daily). I don't care if you have had foot surgery or foot problems, there are orthopedic shoes that are appropriate for work. Some are even cute, too. And can we just agree that there are way too many middle aged men who wear white tennis shoes with jeans? No, just no.

And just to prove that I can walk the walk, here are a whole bevy of bathroom selfies I've taken of my work outfits. I think I need a new pose.

Note: This was not a sponsored post (although that would have been nice). These are just some things that bother me at work.

How about you? Anyone test the dress code limits in your office?

8 comments:

  1. Not going to lie... I may or may not break some of your rules... The occasional hoodie and tennies on a Friday. Yep, I totally do it.

    But jeans that look like dress pants. That is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My work has no dress code, so it's jeans pretty much every day for me! Sometimes I wish we had a dress code so I could look more like a real adult. I don't ever rock sweatshirts or T-shirts (although plenty of people here do) and generally try to stick to nicer sweaters and tops. But if everyone else is going to wear jeans, I'm not pulling out the skirts like a weirdo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Lord, do they ever!!! I work in a law office and some of the "support staff" shows up in items, that I sleep in! We are talking baggy t-shirts and sloppy pants. We even have an attorney (he is 70) that shows up in sweatpants. I shit you not! Not a day goes by that I don't shake my head, at someone's "get up"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up..Some people really get confused when it comes to dressing for public. In school I can't tell you how many people wear pajamins. Like seriously there are so many cute yoga pants and sweat pants, why wear your weirdo pj's. I like your pose!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post - middle age men wearing white tennis shoes with jeans, um no thank you :)I have to wear jeans every day with steel toed boots and I hate wearing boots and jeans, especially in the summer - I cannot wait until I have a job where I can look cute again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the selfies!! You look very stylish!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there! Just stopping over from Skinny Meg! You look great, and you are SO right about appropriate business casual! I have a friend that wears appropriate clothes for shirts and pants, and then wears Uggs on her feet. With her dress pants half tucked in.....crazy ass bitch!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. I'm new.
    I wear jeans to work almost every day because my boss wouldn't notice if I walked in with two heads but you look AMAZING in your work selfies!!

    www.rachelrunshermouth.com

    ReplyDelete