Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My PSA for the month

Time is a bitch. It always seems like there is never enough time in the day to get all you want accomplished. If you are motivated, then you make the time for stuff like workouts and food prep if you are into that, but do you make the time for other aspects of your well-being?

I'm talking about going to the doctor. Those regular checkups that can be such a pain in the butt to schedule. If one of our kids is sick, you can bet your ass that we on on the phone to the pediatrician or heading over to Urgent Care. If we are sick, it seems that we, as Supermom, are more likely to try and tough it out. "Oh, I've had a cold for 5 weeks, maybe I'll go to CVS to get some antibiotics".

This past year, I have learned a lot about getting healthy and losing weight. I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination (we won't talk about the cupcake I had for breakfast yesterday), but I am a work in progress. As part of my healthy goals, I have also tried to get in to see all my doctors. I do not have a primary care physician (a fact that earns me a scowl by nurses every time) but it is currently on my list right alongside a new dentist. I have not been to see the dentist in several years. However, I have seen my eye doctor. That one never gets missed since I have the worst eyesight ever. I also saw my gyno for my yearly check-up, or "Well Woman" visit as they are now called. I was rather perturbed, however that she did not mention my weight loss at all. I mean c'mon, the numbers are right in front of you. I think a 30 pound weight loss deserves something. I digress.

My first mammogram has been taken care of. Not as bad as I had been led to believe so I'll be looking forward to having my boobies squished while I stand in weird poses every year. I also got myself into the dermatologist to have all my moles looked at. Never mind the fact that I drove myself crazy for a week thinking that I had cancer, it all turned out okay in the end. I do have to go back to have some extra tissue removed from one of the moles due to abnormal cells, but it is just a precautionary measure so that these cells do not turn into cancer in the future.


The reason for this little PSA is twofold; my cold has returned so I'm looking to find a primary care physician that I can go to on a regular basis so I don't have to go to the Minute Clinic and an incident that happened this past week.

Jason's mom is the sweetest woman you could ever meet. She is so giving and will do anything for anyone. That said, she fell victim to the Supermom syndrome. She developed a boil on her chin a little over a week ago which quickly turned into an abscess. However, while she was trying to self-diagnose herself on Web MD, it proceeded to get worse and become extremely painful. After being told to go to the Dr. multiple times by Jason and his brother, she finally went to the ER and it turns out she has a MRSA infection. This nasty infection just happens to be resistant to most antibiotics and had she waited much longer to come in, she most likely could have died. I am so glad that they were able to catch it in time in order to treat it properly, but I am so mad that she waited so long to get it checked out. I've already lost one mother and I don't want to lose another.

So, please heed my public service announcement. Get your boobies checked out. Go pee in a cup and have your vag scraped. Have any unusual looking moles examined. Get your teeth cleaned (I need to take my own advice here). We spend so much time trying to look good on the outside that sometimes we forget that the inside needs some help too.

Have you made your regular doctor visits yet this year?

8 comments:

  1. I can pretty much guarantee that if you had GAINED 30 pounds she would have said something. Damn Dr.'s. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sitting in the urgent care now. Pretty sure I have a bladder infection. I tried taking Brady's left over antibiotics, but that didn't help.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good PSA;-) One of my May goals is to floss daily for the month after going to the dentist on the 1st...doesn't really take that much time to do, I was just lazy or "too busy" to do it before now. I'm trying to tackle one or two little things a month in the hopes of making some new healthy habits. So far so good. Glad his mom is okay...scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post - my dad waited too long for his colonoscopy and has passed since from colon cancer, when it could have been taken care of 3 years prior to his appointment, you dont need to tell me twice, but thanks for getting this out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. and have your vag scraped.

    This is why we are friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just as soon as my health insurance kicks in I'm going to the lady doctor. STOKED ABOUT A PAP SMEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :( My friend got MRSA also just this past week :( It was the first time I had ever heard of it. I hope Jason's mom is feeling much better now. Sorry I'm so late...I'm kinda backed up on everything.

    ReplyDelete