Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Running, Potty Training and a Recipe

Blogging fodder is in short supply for me right now, so this will probably just be a random assortment of things going through my head.



I ran the mile run for the KCCC track events last night. I ran 11:36 which for me is actually pretty good (since I'm super slow) but comparatively, it was rather humbling. The top runner in my age group 35-39 ran a 6 minute mile. Are you fucking kidding me? In my wildest dreams, I've never run a 6 minute mile. Oh well, at least I didn't come in dead last and I earned some points for my team. I have the 400m tomorrow. Pretty sure I'm not going to finish it in under a minute. I'm shooting for 2.

I get my stitches out tomorrow morning, so I'm pretty happy about that. The infection that I got was a staph infection (yuck), but I was put on some heavy duty antibiotics so its all good now. I think I am going to have a nasty scar, though, which I'm not real pleased about. Right now, it is all raised and red and about an inch and a half long. I really should take a picture for documentation purposes. The other two spots where I had the moles removed are also red. They look like I got burned with a cigar. Pretty.

Emmeline is super close to being fully potty trained. We decided to just go cold turkey this week and keep her in underwear since the pull-ups were kind of like her little crutch. She did great yesterday with no accidents and I'm hoping today goes just as well. Daycare costs go down once she's trained, so I'm all on board with that.
She is a stubborn one, no mistake about that. She has reached that age where I just want to tear my hair out in frustration. She wants to do everything herself, Miss Independent, and get PISSED if I do it for her. Also, she manages to take her sweet time doing it. Things that should take 2 minutes, like picking out jammies and putting them on, turns into a 30 cajoling session.
"Put your jammies on, Emmeline"
"I know"
She then proceeds to wander around the room, poke through her drawers, play with her Barbie, look at a book...
"Emmeline! Put your pajamas on NOW"
"I know!"
"Then do it!"
Ugh, beer me. I know is her new thing. Apparently at age 3, she already knows everything she is supposed to do. Which is weird because she has started asking me Why after everything else. Stinker.

Last, but not least, I thought I would link up with Sami and Jodi for the healthy recipes. I don't have many healthy recipes that I can call my own, but this one is always a potluck favorite. I usually eat it with tortilla chips which I'm sure lessens the health factor, but it is also great on its own. I wish I had a picture of it.

Avocado Corn Salsa
Ingredients:
1 large tomato or 4 Roma tomatoes (your preference)
1 medium red onion
1 bunch cilantro
1 can black beans
1 can sweet corn
2-3 avocados
Salt (to taste)
Lime juice (to taste)
Finely dice the tomato, onion and cilantro and add to large bowl. Drain and rinse the black beans and corn and add them in. Halve and dice the avocados and add them in as well.  Season with salt and lime juice and mix well.  Serve with tortilla chips.
Optional: Add in a couple diced jalapenos if you want some kick or add in ¼ cup of Italian dressing for added flavor.

What random things are you thinking about today?

8 comments:

  1. I know we have talked about it before, but I will probably retire before Brady is fully potty trained. He goes number one no problems. Refuses to go number two, but will tell you when he has to go. Last night we went to the YMCA, and we kept him in undies, but put a diaper on over it. Because then that way his shorts won't get wet if he has an accident. Well guess who decided to drop a dooce at the YMCA. Yep, Brady. So, now we are down a pair of underwear. He has until September to get this down, otherwise homeboy can't go to pre-school.

    Way to go on your mile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Emmeline sounds just like my Liv! Oh dear God they get so independent so fast! Liv will have a minimum of 3-5 wardrobe changes a night! And on the weekends, forget it, that number doubles. She is the reason hair dye was invented, my grays are increasing daily...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! My little one is the same way! He will not have ANYTHING to do with the potty!!! NOTHING! We have tried everything. Blah. O'well. I can't wait to try out your recipe! Thanks for linking up with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's so cool that your work has those track and field events going on. So it goes the whole week? How long do the games/races run each day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, the dreaded potty training. I've given up. He starts preschool in September so,now I'm making a big deal about no diapers at school. I ask him when are we done with diapers and he will say, "at school!!" So lets hope that works!! I'm so done with man poop bums!!
    That salad sound delish! What a great idea!!! Adding it to my lost right now, and thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg I am still thinking about a 6 minute mile. What the heck?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok! I'm way behind on blog reading, so after posting this comment I need to figure out when and why you had surgery! My damn life keeps on getting in the way of blog reading and posting. Ella is 4 and everything is her way or no way. Yesterday getting ready for the zoo I had to beg her to get dressed and do her hair. It blows me away that I have to beg her to do something even if it benefits her. Drives me nuts. I hope the potty training is successful soon for you. That's one thing I've been lucky with. Your recipe sounds amazing! Now I must play catch up on blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh I hated potty training and not looking forward to doing it again!

    ReplyDelete